1. You read a well-thumbed copy of Judy Blume’s Forever, after it had been passed around most of your class.
2. You had to decide whether you loved Take That or East 17 more. You couldn’t love them both, that was against the rules.
3. But if the hot boys from school asked, you were totally into Pearl Jam and Nirvana.
4. You had a crush on all of the Mizz male models. especially Malcolm.
5. You wore Dr Marten boots and referred to them as docs or DMs. If you were really cool, you had the cherry reds. With tartan laces.
6. It wasn’t Saturday afternoon without a visit to The Body Shop to spend your pocket money on a kiwi lip balm. Or if you were splashing out, White Musk perfume.
7. You were addicted to playing Tetris on the GameBoy. And you may have owned a Tamagotchi.
8. You went to see Titanic at the cinema three times – and cried when Leo died, every time (“Jack! Come back!”)
9. Saying “Not” at the end of a sentence never got tired.
10. You decided if you ever got a tattoo, it would be Mark Owen’s dolphin or Mel C’s celtic arm chain. Both totally amazing.
11. But you couldn’t decide whether you’d rather have your eyebrow pierced like Howard Donald or a pierced tummy button (well, flashing a belly bar while wearing a crop top would be so cool.)
12. School holidays were spent watching Saved By The Bell (you really wanted to be Kelly Kapowski), listening to Pulp, Blur and Oasis on your Walkman and avoiding any homework or revision.
13. You loved Cosmetics To Go and pored over their newspaper style catalogue every time it was delivered. Bath bombs! Shampoos with comedy names! Amazing smelling products!
14. Over the knee socks were a totally legitimate fashion choice. Despite what your mum’s withering look told you.
15. Every second Wednesday was all about Just 17. And the first pages you turned to? The advice pages, of course. Anita Naik and Nick Fisher were your gurus.
16. Thanks to Neighbours and Home & Away, you thought Australia was the best place ever, and you perfected your Aussie accent by saying phrases like “Let’s jump in the ute!”, “Have you fed the chooks?” and “Strewth, mate!”
17. You had to wait until 6pm to call your friends, to get the cheaper call rate. Then you’d spend at least an hour chatting to them, despite having seen them that day at school.
18. Your school ring binders and books were covered in moody black and white posters of Keanu Reeves and River Phoenix…
19. …and your pen of choice was a four-colour Bic.
20. You totally rocked the black leather choker with the silver cross that you bought from Tammy Girl, your palladium shoes from Dolcis and a baby doll polyester dress that looked more like underwear than a real dress.
21. You cried when Robbie left Take That. And actually considered calling the helpline set up for distraught fans.
22. Your hair didn’t thank you for the perm. Or the Sun-In bleach you sprayed on it. The Wella Toners and Shaders were much kinder to it. But the bright blue hair mascara just looked ridiculous.
23. Going to the video shop on a Saturday night was the highlight of the week. You’d spend at least ten minutes deciding whether to rent Clueless, Wayne’s World or Speed.
24. You tried to pull off Buffalo boots, like the Spice Girls, but didn’t quite manage it. Zigazig-nah.
25. When you grew out of White Musk perfume, you graduated to Ex’cla•ma’tion and then CK One. When you wore that, you felt as cool as Kate Moss.
26. Why would you use a normal hair bobble when you could use a scrunchie?
27. You knew all the words to Let’s Get Ready To Rhumble by PJ & Duncan. And at least two verses of Coolio’s Gangsta’s Paradise.
28. You thought Chris Evans was the coolest and funniest man on the TV – from The Big Breakfast to Don’t Forget Your Toothbrush to TFI Friday, he was a regular on your telly box.
29. Friends was something that was only on TV once a week. And every episode you watched was brand new! Oh happy days.
30. Buying a Gossard Wonderbra made you feel totally grown up. Especially when you looked in the mirror and said: ‘Hello boys!’
31. That pale, shimmery lipstick from Miss Selfridge looked ‘the bomb’ on you…
32. …and you wished you were cool enough for Hard Candy nail polish.
33. You pretended you were too old for it, but Saturday mornings were all about sitting in your PJs, watching Going Live or Live And Kicking. Trev and Simon swinging their pants, Gordon the Gopher, Edd the Duck, Andi Peters – all heroes.
34. You wished you could hang out in the Peach Pit, with Brandon Walsh serving you a milkshake, like on Beverly Hills 90210.
35. When you met up with a friend to go shopping, you had to arrange a time and a place… and actually be there. No texting each other to say you’d be late.
36. You saw Mel Blatt from All Saints perform onstage with her baby bump hanging out of her crop top and cargo pants, and thought it was a look you’d definitely copy when you were grown up and had babies.