As a mum, for the last few years, yogurt has meant one thing to me – a quick and calcium-rich pudding or snack for my tot. It has been smeared all over the high chair table, smeared all over a grubby face, squelched into little hands and inevitably, splatted or wiped onto my clothes.
It’s fair to say that yogurt and I have not been the best of friends in recent years. But now my daughter is a bit older (she’ll be four in September) and her table habits have improved, I’ve started to get a bit adventurous with puddings. Including yogurt!
So I’m embracing Yogurt Week – happening between 19th and 25th May, it is a celebration of all things yogurt. Lots of bloggers have been asked to share a yogurt recipe in time for Yogurt Week – check out this roast aubergine and pomegranate salad by Alice at More Than Toast, proving there are so many ways you can enjoy yogurt – it’s versatile, convenient and a great food staple for the family.
The recipe I’m sharing is one that my mum has created and makes at pretty much every family party (and Christmas too). “It’s easy to prepare,” says my mum. “It creates no fuss, can be made at the last minute or made on the day before and covered and stored in the fridge!”
My mum’s Mmmmmm Pudding is easy to adapt for a large group of people, or for a small family – just vary the size of Greek yogurt and cream you buy. It’s a great way of using up store cupboard ingredients and sweet things you have in the house – we used up some leftover Easter egg and a Mars Bar that had come with it. We rummaged around the cupboards and found raisins and fudge – but you can add chopped nuts, coconut, dried apricots, pretty much anything you fancy! It’s also easy to make with little helpers too.
300g Greek yogurt
300g Whipping cream
And here’s the fun part – what do you have in your store cupboard? I added:
Handful of raisins
1 bar of chocolate
1 Mars Bar
6 small pieces of fudge
- Soak the raisins in orange juice (or gin if no kids will be eating it).
- Grate some chocolate for the topping. Put to one side.
- Chop up rest of chocolate, fudge and other selected treats.
- Whip up the cream in a mixing bowl until it can form soft peaks when you lift the whisk out.
- Add the Greek yogurt to the cream and stir gently together to blend them.
- Add the chopped chocolate, raisins (drained) and other chosen items to the bowl. Stir gently to mix.
- Either transfer it to one serving dish or individual dishes, sprinkled with grated chocolate.
- Pop in fridge to chill until ready to serve.
- Enjoy hearing everyone say “Mmmmmmm” when they eat it!
• Big thanks to the Yogurt Council for working with Not Another Mummy Blog! For further information visit loveyogurt.org and follow loveyogurtuk on Facebook and Twitter. You can also enter a yogurt recipe competition over on Lavender and Lovage for a chance to win £1000.
For more information on how I work with brands, please see my Work With Me page.
Book marking this – what a great storecupboard dessert! I’m always finding myself hankering after something sweet for dessert yet only have the dregs of a year old carton of ice cream in the freezer. Yummy (not).
My mum swears by it, and it fast becoming a regular when I have ‘people’ over (read: BBQ for mates)
LOVELY recipe and I hope you join in with the contest too! Karen
Oh wow, so good, come link up to #tastytuesdays if you fancy it x
Great idea – thanks Vicki!