It’s not a trick question! Am I the best blog writer you know? Chances are, the answer is “Well, no and PS get over yourself” but some people have taken it upon themselves to nominate me for a MAD Blog Award… so many people did so, in fact, that it resulted in me being shortlisted for the award.
And I only bribed half of them with wine in order to receive votes (Joke! Seriously, if the MADs organisers are reading, I didn’t. It was gin.)
For any non-bloggers reading, the MAD (Mum And Dad) Blog Awards are a big deal – a bit like the Brits or the BAFTAs, where the blogging elite all gather at a posh ceremony, wearing their gladrags, to drink champagne and find out who has won each award. I’m genuinely amazed and very surprised to be in the shortlist. When you think that there are around 10,000 mummy/daddy/family blogs in the UK, it’s a bit mind-blowing to be named as one of the top 6 when it comes to writing.
But I need your help! Because the winner will be the blogger who gets the highest number of votes. Here are some of the posts that I’ve enjoyed writing – if you enjoyed any (or all!) of them, then please do head over to the MADs voting form and vote for me in the Best Writer category!
- That time when I had an actual post go viral! Granted, no one apart from me actually cares about the viral bit but I’d like to think it happened because it was a well observed and amusing post that tapped into what everyone was thinking: 36 Things That Happened If You Were A Teenage Girl In The 90s.
- Those posts I write when I feel passionately about something! Yep, I do have one or two opinions on things and while I usually try to reign it in, for fear of being a gobby cow, I sometimes write blog posts about this stuff. Like my post on The Sun & Page 3, this post on Kate Middleton looking amazing a few hours after giving birth and this post on NHS maternity wards allowing salespeople in to collect data from vulnerable new mums.
- Then there are the times when I’m writing about myself. Like this Fantasy Me v The Real Me post where I confess to being a bit rubbish at life, and this post about feeling like I don’t fit into any of the ‘Mum tribes’. Recently, I wrote about my struggle with MUM being such a large part of my identity and a while back, I wrote about my PND Hangover (which FYI I still feel the effects of, even now).
- It’s not all doom and gloom though! I also write a lot about travel. You can read my post about our trip to the Beaches resort in Turks & Caicos, or the luxury family hotel that’s so good, it’s worth the trip down to Cornwall to visit. Then there was our recent trip to Pine Cliffs Resort in Portugal and our mini break in Wiltshire where we stayed at a gorgeous hotel with log fires and wooden beams.
- Ooh and I also love a list. I know, I know, it’s hardly an original format, but I really enjoyed writing 22 Things I’ve Learned In My 30s, 59 Thoughts A Blogger Has Every Day, 34 Things That Will Happen To You When You’re A Parent and slightly useful lists like 50 Things To Do In London Before You’re 5 and 40 Books To Read Before You’re 4.
Phew! I’m a bit tired and in need of a cuppa, just looking at all of those posts. Voting is open until midnight on Friday 26th June 2015 and you can vote for me by heading over here. Thank you!