Three words that strike fear into every parent’s heart….. WORLD BOOK DAY.
Let me begin by saying that anything that promotes books and reading is obviously brilliant. I’m all for bigging up books especially when we’re raising a generation of screen fans. But I can’t be the only one who is totally thrown into a panic by this annual event. Christmas Jumper Day suddenly seems so easy when you’re faced with the prospect of creating a book character costume out of thin air. Here’s what’s been running though my head this week…
- Oh God, when is World Book Day? Is it soon?
- Right. Costume. What does my child have in their dressing up box already?
- Hmm only some princess dresses and a slightly-too-small Halloween costume.
- I know, I’ll ask my child what she wants to go as.
- “No, you can’t go as Spider-Man. Spider-Man isn’t a book character.”
- “No, you can’t go as Elsa, either.”
- “Or Tinkerbell.”
- “No I know you have a Tinkerbell book, but… oh well, it’s not the right kind of book.”
- I wonder what the other parents at school are doing….
- Oh crap. Joshua’s mum is making his costume. Should I be making a costume?
- It’s official. I’m a terrible lazy mum, for wanting to just buy a costume or fashion something together at home, aren’t I?
- My child is going to be mocked at school for wearing an awful costume, isn’t she?
- OK, let’s sort something out. I’m going to go to the big supermarket to see what they have.
- Hmm, so I could send her to school as slutty Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz.
- What am I saying, that’s a FILM. Why is it so hard to think of actual books?
- Alice In Wonderland! That’s a book. Definitely a book. Lewis Carroll wrote it, right? Yes, I feel like a literary whizz.
- Damn, they don’t have an Alice dress in her size.
- I’ll order one online. WHY are they all sold out online. WHY did I leave this so late to organise?
- Maybe I’ll make a costume. I should just rise to the challenge and get creative.
- She could go as Mr Bump. Except she doesn’t have blue trousers, blue t-shirt and a blue hat. Making a costume is going to be too tricky.
- Ooh, she has a witch costume from Halloween. OK so it’s a bit tight but…. she can go as The Worst Witch! Yes. Sorted.
- Oh blimey, I’ve got six more years of this. Six more World Book Days. Six more stressful World Book Days.
What’s your child dressing up as?!