Hackney Weekender? Pah! Isle of Wight festival? Don’t make me laugh. V2012? So 2011.
The (the) festival to be seen at this summer is Lollibop. Dubbed the big festival for little people, Lollibop takes over Regents Park for three days in August and instead of headliners like Biffy Clyro and Example, this badass event has ZingZillas, Dick and Dom, Mister Maker and Waybuloo sharing the bill. Any non-parents reading this (hang on, what are you doing reading this? Go back to reading something else) will be scratching their heads and saying “Zing-what-as?” Let’s just say that these guys are the Snow Patrol of the kids’ world. Well, perhaps they’re more like JLS, but you catch my drift.
It’ll be the first kids’ event that we take our toddler to (she’ll be 23 months by then) and there are a few things that will almost certainly happen:
- I’ll get more excited about seeing the actual ZingZillas or Mister Maker off of the telly than she will. She sees them every day on TV (er, I mean once a week, in her strictly monitored TV-watching session) so why is it any different seeing them in this large field in North London?
- We will leave covered in paint, clay, foam and face paint (I’m totes going to take at least two changes of clothes for the little one.)
- Junior will fall asleep in her buggy just as Nok Tok, Lau Lau, De-Li and Yo Jo Jo appear.
- I will leave with a much lighter purse – I strongly suspect there will be ice cream, balloons and countless other goodies gently teasing me to part with my cash.
- I’ll drink too much Pimm’s in the ‘Adult Creche’ (yes, they have a bar for us grown ups and they call it a creche – that’s justmadeof win) and fall asleep on the train home.
Join the fun by booking tickets (£25 + booking fee).