A Fun-Packed Break In The Peak District With Sykes Cottages

DSC_0724

There aren’t many family breaks that combine gorgeous interior design, rolling hills and adrenalin-filled fun. Last week, we spent a few days at The Old Temperance Hall in Kingsley, Staffordshire with Sykes Cottages. This place was less of a cottage and more of a huge impressive dream home. Which is unsurprising when you discover that the owners bought the hall five years ago and spent all of that time completely remodelling it to become a five bedroom family home.

The Old Temperance Hall, Staffordshire

DSC_0679

DSC_0660

DSC_0651

So what’s this place like? Well the main living space and kitchen is totally open plan with skylights on the roof, letting in loads of light. Yet in the evening, it still manages to feel cosy. The kitchen has a range cooker and large fridge freezer, and there’s a utility room off to the side with a washing machine, microwave and more storage, plus a shower room and loo. The clever design of the house means you go up one set of stairs to get to the master bedroom, with ensuite and roll top bath. You go up the other staircase to get to two more bedrooms (a twin and a double) plus a small bathroom. On the ground floor, towards the front door, there are two more bedrooms (a twin and a double).

DSC_0657

DSC_0671

DSC_0673

mark

Mr P outside our bedroom

DSC_0670

Our few days there were brilliant. We went with my good friend Katie and her family (check out Katie’s gorgeous blog) and The Old Temperance Hall was the perfect place for us to stay – because of the layout, it felt like each family had our own ‘wing’ and then there was loads of space downstairs for the girls to hang out and play. The four-year-old gets on so well with Katie’s little ones, Mads and LL. In fact, her and Mads acted a bit like sisters, in that they would be thick as thieves one minute, giggling and plotting away and the next minute, they’d be falling out and refusing to share a toy.

IMG_6261

Taking advantage of the free wifi

Once the girls had gone to bed each night, we’d crack open the wine and cook ourselves some dinner – it’s a great space for having a big old meal like fajitas and then carrying on the night with some more wine and silly games. The cottage has some board games there for you to play, but we played a fun quiz game instead.

The best thing about the location is how much there is to do for families. On our first day in the Peak District, we went to Trentham Gardens (on the recommendation of another blogger friend Kerri-Anne) which was incredible. You’re driving along, in a built-up area, and suddenly it’s there with acres of parkland, a lake, wild flowers and ace things for kids like an adventure playground, zip wire, climbing wall, boat rides and a maze. We didn’t try it but there’s also a barefoot adventure where kids take their socks and shoes off and squelch through mud!

DSC_0711

Navigating the maze

DSC_0709

climbing-wall

I couldn’t believe it when the four-year-old climbed the wall with ease – no fear at all! Trentham Gardens is the perfect place for a picnic too – they even have a little picnic supplies hut with sandwiches, drinks and snacks. We found a spot near the lake and popped the picnic blanket down.

DSC_0702

alison-and-katie

DSC_0696

The secret garden at Trentham Gardens

Also near Kingsley is Alton Towers! We have Merlin Annual Passes so we actually went to Alton Towers on three different days while we were staying there. Our passes got us into Alton Towers an hour before the gates open, so we were able to get onto some of the popular rides without queuing for too long.

The four-year-old LOVED CBeebies Land and other favourite rides around the park were the Runaway Goldmine Train and the River Rapids. Mr P spent a couple of hours one morning going on all of the ‘big’ rides like Nemesis and Rita, while the four-year-old and I pottered around CBeebies Land some more. We did go and watch him ride Oblivion though – there’s a fab viewing platform right at the point where the right plummets into the ground, and it was amazing to be able to see Mr P hang there for a few seconds and wave to him before dropping down.

IMG_6390

trying to get a group shot with the four-year-old on the carousel but kept getting the timing wrong!

The Old Temperance Hall has a lovely outdoor area with a large picnic bench and beautiful flowers. The weather was mixed while we were there, so we didn’t sit out there much but on warmer weeks, I can imagine long lunches outside while the kids play.

DSC_0827

DSC_0812

DSC_0820

I think it’s the attention to detail that makes this place special. Inside, there are lovely little vintage-inspired touches that make it stylish but homely.

DSC_0798

decoration

We had a fantastic time in the Peak District – if you’d like to see more of the cottage and our adventures, you can watch the short video below.

7 nights at The Old Temperance Hall starts at £795 plus a refundable £200 housekeeping bond. Find out more and book over on the Sykes Cottages site. Big thanks to Sykes Cottages for inviting us to stay at The Old Temperance Hall for the purpose of this review. All views are – as always – my own, and you can read more about how I work with brands on my Work With Me page.

Share:

25 Comments

1. August 29, 2015 / 3:09 pm

That living area is gorgeous! There’s a lot to be said for getting together with others to share a larger space. So lovely that your families get on so well, especially with the girls being a similar age.
    Helen @actuallyblog recently posted…Travel: an Incredible Day aboard the Thames Clippers. Why don’t you check it out?My Profile

• Alison Perry
      August 30, 2015 / 1:00 pm

G and Mads get on a bit like sisters – one minute they’re holding hands and giggling, and the next they’re squabbling over something! Bless them.

2. Emma Walker
    August 29, 2015 / 3:39 pm

Such a beautiful house , but slight rip off that a 3 night break costs the same as a 7 day break

3. August 29, 2015 / 4:24 pm

That looks like such a fantastic place to stay – the downstairs looks amazing! Plus it looks like a great place to explore the surrounding area x
    Donna recently posted…Fisher Price Little People City Skyway. Why don’t you check it out?My Profile

4. August 29, 2015 / 10:40 pm

Wow, that place is right up my street, so beautiful. What a lovely break and great that you could share it with Katie and her family x
    You Baby Me Mummy recently posted…Gratitude List #64. Why don’t you check it out?My Profile

5. August 30, 2015 / 7:50 am

Fab photos and I loved following all the fun on Instagram! Glad you had such an amazing time lovely x
    brummymummyof2 recently posted…Bank Holidays Then. And Now. Why don’t you check it out?My Profile

6. August 31, 2015 / 1:04 pm

I love the idea of going on holiday with another family. I imagine it’s such fun for the kids, especially. Your photos are amazing. That cottage looks quite incredible!

7. August 31, 2015 / 4:12 pm

This looks amazing!! It looks like you had great fun and the venue looks stunning.

8. August 31, 2015 / 4:13 pm

What a stunning cottage and how beautiful is that secret garden? I have to say that place is would be a dream to stay in especially with all that living space. I’ve actually never been to the peak district and currently looking at exploring that side next year some time x
    Gemma (Life As Mummy L) recently posted…Me & Mine || August 15. Why don’t you check it out?My Profile

9. September 8, 2015 / 3:33 pm

If that could please be my house, that would be nice, thanks. Seriously though, what an amazing cottage. I know I commented on your video but your photos really bring this gorgeous cottage to life x

10. September 8, 2015 / 9:12 pm

Those stairs and that living area is incredible isn’t it. What a fab place. I love anywhere near Alton Towers one of my favourite places to go as an adult. Still not been with the kids!
    Mini Travellers recently posted…Kite Flying on West Kirby Beach. Why don’t you check it out?My Profile

11. September 8, 2015 / 10:09 pm

I want this house!! What a beautiful space and it seems really reasonable too – £795 for 7 nights? That’s a great deal when you think of what you get. I hadn’t hear of Trentham Gardens before I read your post but now I really want to go, it sounds fantastic!
    Katja – globetotting recently posted…My Family Adventure: Sailing in San Blas, Panama. Why don’t you check it out?My Profile

12. September 9, 2015 / 8:36 am

What a gorgeous cottage! We haven’t been to the Peaks for a few years, and keep meaning to go back; there’s just so much to do up there. In fact I’d never heard of Trentham Gardens, so that’s a new one to add to the list, too!
    Laura recently posted…Leather Travel Journal | Love This. Why don’t you check it out?My Profile

13. September 9, 2015 / 9:28 am

Wow-eee this cottage is stunning. It’s hard to choose my favourite part – either the kitchen or the beautiful bathroom? It’s all stunning. We’re staying in a Sykes cottage in December and I am even MORE excited now – the finish looks gorgeous.
    North East Family Fun recently posted…The GIN Bar, Crowne Plaza – The best Martini in Newcastle. Why don’t you check it out?My Profile

14. September 9, 2015 / 1:05 pm

What a totally gorgeous video and stunning pics – SOLD!
    I used to live near Trentham when I was your daughter’s age – lovely memories!

15. September 9, 2015 / 1:22 pm

This looks wonderful – great for a huge family holiday as well. I grew up near Trentham Gardens and do love visiting the monkeys when I visit my parents.
    Cathy (mummytravels) recently posted…A day on board Royal Princess. Why don’t you check it out?My Profile

16. September 9, 2015 / 2:30 pm

The Peak District is gorgeous – we love it there. But I’ve never heard of this place to stay and it looks incredible – perfect for families and so attractive too! The light is fab, and it looks as if it has so much space.

17. September 9, 2015 / 8:28 pm

The cottage looks amazing, I definitely need to check them out. That part of the country is really gorgeous too, one of our friends relocated to the Peak District from London, so quite a culture shock, but the area they live in is stunning.

Sounds like you had a great time and you can’t beat Alton Towers 🙂

18. September 9, 2015 / 10:13 pm

Oh wow that cottage is just my style I love it, it is wonderful to find somewhere that feels like a home from home and is so stylish x
    Sarah Christie recently posted…My Top Tips For Universal Orlando. Why don’t you check it out?My Profile