As part of the Organix No Junk Challenge, I’ve been thinking a lot about easy and quick family meals I can make that are healthy and don’t involve processed food. I’m a huge fan of tasty food that’s super quick to make (giving us more time to be running around the park or watching Frozen) and today, I looked in my fridge and cupboards and set myself the task of thinking up three dishes that I could make with them. So what were these items?
Everyone’s got these around, most of the time, right? So here goes… here are three super easy and healthy family meals using just these six ingredients… *channels Ainsley Harriott on Ready, Steady, Cook*…
Meal 1: Eggs In Clouds (adapted from this recipe)
1 Separate egg, putting whites in a large bowl and yolk in a separate small bowl.
2 Whip whites until stiff peaks form.
3 Grate cheese and finely chop onion. Fold in cheese and onion to egg white.
4 Spoon into a mound on parchment-lined baking sheet; make a deep well in centre.
5 Bake at 450 degrees for 3 minutes.
6 Add yolk to well; season with pepper. Bake until yolks are just set, 2 to 3 minutes.
(Serve with toast)
Meal 2: Egg And Cheese Casserole (adapted from this fab Hungry, Healthy, Happy recipe)
1. Preheat your oven to 200C/390F.
2. Whisk 10 eggs, salt and pepper and 4 tbsp milk together and pour in to an oven dish.
3. Grate the cheese and finely shop the onion. Add to dish (chuck in other veg you might have like tomatoes, pepper or mushrooms.)
4. Cook in the oven for 30-35 minutes, until the eggs are cooked.
Meal 3: Egg, Cheese and Onion Crepes (adapted from this amazing looking recipe on the Taming Twins blog)
1. Make a crepe/pancake by putting 100g plain flour and a pinch of salt into a large mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Crack two eggs into the middle, then gradually pour in 300ml milk and 1 tbsp oil. Whisk together and pour into a moderately hot frying pan. Flip.
2. Finely chop the onion and in a separate frying pan, gently fry it in butter or oil.
3. When the underside of the pancake is almost done, put the onion on top, then the cheese. Fold in each side to make a square.
4. Break your egg into the space left.
5. Squish the sides down with your spatula to seal as the cheese melts.
6. Cook for 3 or 4 minutes until the egg is turning white.
7. Pop under the grill for a further 2 or 3 minutes until the yolk is just starting to cook.
So there you go, three super easy and healthy family meals with basic ingredients! If you’re interested in serving up healthy food for your family, check out the Organix No Junk Challenge. The No Junk Challenge is simple – it’s asking parents to look at the ingredients of the foods we’re buying for our kids. If we don’t recognise any of the ingredients, ask ourselves if we really want to be feeding it to our children. Read more about it over here and sign their pledge.
• Big thanks to Organix for collaborating with Not Another Mummy Blog. For information on how I work with brands, see my Work With Me page.