I’ve done it. I’ve booked a holiday abroad with our toddler. Our first ever trip abroad together. Our first proper holiday (providing you don’t count Centerparcs).
I want to scream with excitement and fear, all at the same time.
After two and a half years of being too chicken to go abroad with our child, the place to tempt us onto a plane out of the UK is Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel in Portugal. It looks like heaven in a hotel. Having read reviews on blogs and travel sites like Babyfriendly Boltholes and Luxury And Little Ones, this is what appeals to me:
- Its mix of five star luxury and family friendly facilities
- The self-catering apartments (we’ve booked a 2-bedroom – the thought of sharing a room with our tot for a week doesn’t appeal!) with veranda that will allow evening dining al fresco while the toddler sleeps
- The food delivery service to the apartments (see: above)
- The pre-bookable baby and child equipment like safety gates, door protectors, bed guards, baby baths and a potty
- Its gated playground and chests of pool toys to use
- The Raposinhos kids’ club (we *might* just book one or two sessions in there to allow a bit of pool-lounging-time)
- It’s on the beach and has pools too, giving lots of choice of where to hang
- There’s a spa. Enough said.
I work full time, so does my husband, and if you count nursery, so does the toddler. We all need some sun and we all need some family time together, so this should be the perfect place to go. But, I’ll be totally honest, these are my fears:
- Toddler tantrums. A journey that includes an hour in the car, 90 minutes in the airport, an hour faffing around waiting for baggage and sorting the hire car, and a 90 minute drive along the Algarve? Plenty of potential “meltdown moments” there.
- “I no like swimming” My currently swimming obsessed child will probably decide she hates swimming. Which is kind of what we plan to do for most of the holiday.
- “I want my Peppa Pig books/scooter/HappyLand toys/Lego” Will we last a whole week away from our safety net of toys and books?
If you have any tips on first holidays abroad, please share them! Please.
Martinhal Beach Resort & Spa have invited us to stay with them for the purpose of a review. This isn’t a review, it’s just a post about my holiday-booking-excitement-and-fears. All excitement and fears views are my own.